Tuesday, September 11, 2007

tony melillo



Tony Melillo, I have no idea who you are but I must say that I am somewhat impressed with what you had to offer in your spring collection. Yes, it was redundant in spots and stuck mostly to a cement and ash color palette, but the ideas were there. The Bermuda shorts and cardigan combination is something I would wear without a thought but adding a drapey, cowl looking scarf does separate the followers from the adventurous. It's a great tension between structure and looseness that implies depth and thought in the design. A moody youth vibe cast a pall over the show with a slightly subversive treatment of traditional dressing. Ties were non-existent and most shirts were half tucked in and completely unbuttoned. This rebellion is alluring in its conceit in that it reminded me of my middle school days when we were forced to conform to belts and tucking in our offensive shirt tails. I especially like the loose tailoring of your one button, single-breasted short shut that minus the shorts would look very unique in my closet. Subtlety is key in this collection and when you make clothes as easy, comfortable looking, and youthful, why complain about the sobering simplicity that would otherwise be dull in any other collection?

Standouts:
White cardigan
Gray flat front trousers
An effortless pairing of an oxford over a zip front hoodie.

Bitch, Please on:
Baby Phat

No comments: