Monday, September 10, 2007

first look: the assassination of jesse james by the coward robert ford


"The Assassination of Jesse James by the Coward Robert Ford"
dir., Andrew Dominik
2007

What a lush and unusual looking western. I see traces of "The Talented Mr. Ripley", "McCabe & Mrs. Miller", and "Days of Heaven." Mr. Pitt won the best actor prize at the Venice Film festival this weekend for what Todd McCarthy of Variety calls a "layered, continually interesting performance." The western is not my usual cinematic cup of tea, but I might give this one a try.

2 comments:

MATTHEW said...

Shit, I'm not sure if I've ever anticipated the release of so many potentially stunning movies in one season:
Assassination...
No Country for Old Men
There Will Be Blood
I'm Not There
3:10 to Yuma

Plus hopefully optimistic:
Darjeeling Limited
Lust Caution

Eric R. Rickert said...

wow. this looks really beautiful. not at all what i expected