Monday, February 4, 2008

alexander wang


I really want to like Alexander Wang. I do, really. I appreciate the full trousers, sexy cocktail dresses, and I'll even take the ripped hosiery in his latest collection. However, I wonder if it's all styling and quite simply mirroring the taste of hipster fashion blogs. Not all fashion is capable or necessarily tied down to the idea that it must be forward thinking, but I'm not sure what to make of his fall collection. It just seems so easy to conjure up the grungy biker babe thing. None of these models look the least bit threatening, scary maybe due to their thinness and ratty looking hair, or tough as I'm sure was his sole intention. Their scowls are intense but you have to wonder wouldn't most leggy sixteen year-olds have a smile on their face if they got to wear overpriced high fashion? Isn't that the point of clothes is too elicit feelings of joy, confidence, and comfort? I'm curious what he's going to price these clothes because although they look well made, but they look so basic and neglected in care that it would be a riot if those beanies cost more than they would at a Goodwill bargain bin. Fashion is cyclical, so maybe this is a reaction the all of the '80s trends that have dominated fashion for the past few years, but I find it boring and too obvious. I don't know if Wang is too blame or his former model turned stylist Erin Wasson is the brains behind this goth, bohemian, streetwalker aesthetic, but it could use an actual point of view and one that Marc Jacobs wasn't doing in the early '90s. There are no rules in fashion, but showing a collection where some looks didn't include pants and others looked like recycled Mary-Kate Olsen throwaways seemed kind of hollow. I wouldn't say this is a bad collection, just as blah as the monochromatic and washed out color palette. Is there any thought in all of this? If so, maybe I missed it and maybe next season he can actually make clothes instead of sifting through the closet of Miss Olsen and calling it his own.

Bitch, Please on:
Baby Phat

Gold Digger, where art thou?

1 comment:

Leigh said...

god, this collection was LAME.

so far new york has not been very impressive.