Friday, June 22, 2007

my voyage to italy: pt. 3


"Everything in Its Right Place (Live)"
Radiohead

Radiohead was for all the cool kids in high school, so naturally I had no appreciation for them. However, "Kid A" was eventually shoved down my throat and what a mighty helping of ambient-electro-post-"OK Computer" despair and beauty. I loved every inch of that album and in a way it become a contemporary version of Bowie's "Low" for my generation. It was illusive, dreamy, and unrelenting in its dark tones and airy-techno textures.

I consumed so much of their music catalog that I found myself bloated and uninterested in their recent work. However, I reconnected with Radiohead on the plane ride to Italy. It was a night flight to Milan that was nerve racking but thrilling as it was my first plane ride ever. I fell asleep with my iPod on shuffle and woke up to "Everything in Its Right Place", a live version from an album one of my best friends from college loaned to me a few months prior. The hum of Thom Yorke's moody voice and chilly synthesizers were a welcomed addition to waking up to the rising grapefruit-hued sun that peaked through the blanket of clouds and expansive Atlantic Ocean. I listened to this album non-stop when I got to Italy and it became my security blanket of sorts. It was an ideal beginning to my imminent journey into a foreign but attractive territory.

No comments: