Monday, June 11, 2007

littlest things


"Littlest Things"
Lily Allen
dir., Nima Nourizadeh

Remember Lady Sovereign? Yeah, me neither. Amy Winehouse? The beehive is too distracting. Joss Stone? The pink tights ruined it for me.

There is an abundance of young female artists with varying influences coming out England right now and to me the one that stands apart from her peers is the lovely Lily Allen. She talks shit about pop stars, got kicked out of school for being a blow job queen, and Karl Lagerfeld is a fan, and not in that I'm-only-friends-with-Lohan-because-she-stalks-me-on-my-Blackberry sort of way. Her album, "Alright Still", is breezy, light pop music with a great voice and sunny sensibility that doesn't try to be something it's not. "Littlest Things" is one of my favorite songs from the album and the video doesn't disappoint. Allen usually ascribes to the Dunks and vintage look, but in this video she's a 50's New Wave goddess.

Oh yeah, and she has a song about her grandmother that borrows from 50 Cent's "Window Shopper." You gotta love her, right?

No comments: