Thursday, April 30, 2009

run for the roses

Scout Button Down
Billy Reid, $135

The 135th Kentucky Derby is this Saturday and although I won't be in attendance, copious amounts of Bourbon will be consumed in celebration here in Brooklyn at a watering hole co-owned by a Louisvilian (we have to stick together in this city!). Derby is as much about what you wear as it is about the race. I have an idea about what to wear, but I might wear my new Billy Reid shirt that I purchased last night at the Whiskey Wednesday shopping event. It's the perfect mix of Southern dandy and easy to wear cool (plus for added authenticity, the shirt appears to be sun bleached in spots giving it the appearance of having worn it out to the track all day in the glistening Louisville sun), something that will not only be perfect for Derby, but for the rest of the summer. However, my big question is do I go full seersucker or will I risk looking too much like Mark Twain?

1 comment:

mograbs said...

At The Oaks last year, the seersucker seemed to have been usurped by frat-boy meatheads, which was very very saddening (with the exception of Dave White's superbly rakish seersucker fedora - but you need a peppery mustache like Dave's to pull of this rarefied look). So I'd say stick with the Billy Reid, and only perhaps a seersucker sportjacket BUT with non-seersucker pants.