Thursday, December 11, 2008

want: carry all

Jack Spade, Plaid Market Tote
$149 (on sale)

Have you ever noticed that every so often a piece by Gap will last you a long time? Upon arriving in a city in which it's a necessity to have something that can hold more than just your keys and wallet, I've been carrying around my reliable old black messenger bag from Gap that I've owned since freshman year in college. However, it is starting to show its age and my mouth dropped at this tote I saw while doing some masochistic perusing at Barneys. Although the word SALE was splashed across almost every tag in the store, unfortunately I've indulged enough since I've moved here. And there's always next season. At any rate, I loved the texture, size, unique print, and lightness of the tote, but I wondered is it better to get a tote that can weather any storm (it's made out of cotton canvas, which looks nice but it's not always conducive to protecting your goods during a downpour like it was today) or go for what appeals to your sense? Functionality or style? That is the question.

P.S. A snippet of the random/awkward elevator chat I had on the way to the fifth floor:
Asian Guy in Trench: It's crazy out there.
Me: Yeah. It looks like there are some deals.
Asian Guy in Trench: Yeah, I just bought my mom a $10,000 ring and I still have more shopping to do.
Me: Zang!
Asian Guy in Trench: I have a Platinum Card, so it's okay. (laughs)

The Barneys elevator doors open.

Recession? What recession?

2 comments:

Leigh said...

ummmmmmmm...

that is a murse.

don't even try to deny it.

w. said...

do you think? it's such a tough line to cross.