Monday, December 29, 2008

is 75 the new 50?

I've only lived in New York for three months and I've already encountered some sales that made me do this. Thank the recession, thank the generosity of the designers, thank anyone for what were the five best sales of the year:

5. Marc by Marc Jacobs
I didn't get the $10 rain boots that were flying off the shelves (I paid $28 a month earlier) during the holiday in store sale, but I did pick up a pair of cashmere socks for my grandmother for Christmas that were marked down to $14. Yes, less than $15, cashmere, and Marc by Marc Jacobs.
4. Bblessing
The prices weren't as low as I would preferred, but there were really good deals for the brands that rarely dip into the double digit range (Opening Ceremony and Surface to Air). I picked up a Raf by Raf Simons military style shirt that hasn't stopped receiving compliments.
3. The News Showroom
Young, stylish people knocking each other over the $30 Cheap Monday jeans was a bit of a scene to say the least. I tried on a few pairs and learned my body type doesn't work for their jeans, but I did pick up a black mac coat by their tailored line Kostym. The Shipley & Halmos polo I also bought was kind of expensive but I've had my eye on it for months and it's the perfect stripey polo. Oh, and changing in the unisex fitting room with scads of women in varying states of undress wasn't bad either. However, could those Common Projects please get marked down to less than $75? Pretty please?
2. Odin
Way back in August when I came up for interviews and to meet my roommates I made a quick stop into one of, if not the best, menswear boutiques in New York, Odin. They were having an incredible sale and I walked out with a pair of rag & bone shorts and a vest that were two of my favorite pieces I bought this year.
1. Scoop
My mouth dropped when I saw the 50% off rack and then I did a double take when I saw that it said take an additional 50% off pieces that were already marked down. I got two Rogan t-shirts for $13 a piece down from $70-80. I'm going back today because apparently things have been further marked down. Does this city want me to go bankrupt?

No comments: