Saturday, December 27, 2008

oedipus wrecks

What film did I curl up on the couch and watch this holiday season? I finally got around to watching David O. Russell's debut film, "Spanking the Monkey." Yes, I watched a film about incest on Christmas Eve. Somehow Russell treats it with astute observation and sly black humor, resulting in one the best debut films I've seen in a while. It's kind of dated in early 90's indiedom, but it's definitely worth a watch.

"Spanking the Monkey" (1994)

It got me thinking that there are couple of other movies that I love about the disturbed mother-son relationships. Did I just say that?

"Ma Mère" (2004)
directed by Christophe Honoré


"Murmur of the Heart" (1971)
directed by Louis Malle"


"Psycho" (1960)
directed by Alfred Hitchcock

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Love Spanking the Monkey. Nice work on the site.

w. said...

thanks! does this mean we're going to be link buddies?