Monday, August 13, 2007

autumn in the ville

It's that time of the year again when all of those sweat soaked clothes from the summer are soon to be retired in favor of layers, jackets, and all things I love about fall. For summer I did my best impression of the boys in "City of God" with bermuda-style shorts, slip ons without socks, and an oozy as my choice accessory. For fall I'm thinking of maturing that look into something a little more grown up but with the same youthful comfort and relaxed casualness. Think John Forsythe in Alfred Hitchcock's "The Trouble with Harry", shades of eggplant at DKNY; grey at Calvin Klein; and graphic black and white at Narciso Rodriguez, the preppy Band of Outsiders polaroids, and the minimalist style of Raf Simons. Here are some pieces that might help me realize my vision:

*Cotton/Silk blend vest, Gap $39.50
*Premium Slim Fit Striped Shirt, Gap $49.50
*Alan Striped Shirt, Gap $39.50
*Stock University Cardigan in Maroon/Black, Urban Outfitters $48.00
*D Collection Asymmetrical Zip Hoodie in Black, Urban Outfitters $68.00
*Cotton-cashmere pinstripe vest in Navy, J. Crew $55.00
*Unisex Acrylic Striped Scarf in Navy/Red, American Apparel $28
*Wallabee Boot, Clark's $125.00
*Slim Straight 514™ Jeans in Grey Dawn, Levi's $58.00

The Standbys I currently own:
*Flat front cotton trousers in Grey, Stinky Rat by Marc Jacobs
*Cashmere crew neck sweater in Navy, Express
*Striped V-Neck merino wool sweater in Oxblood and Red, H&M
*Golfer's Jacket in Grey, Penguin by Munsingwear

And I might have a go again with a vest and fedora. I managed to find a fedora I liked for summer, but with the crisp air approaching it would be wise to find a wool or herringbone piece that keeps my noggin nice and toasty. As for the vest, I'm not sure I can do it justice quite like The Timberlake, but damned if I won't try.

What do else do we have our eye on for fall?

Oh and if you couldn't tell already, Gap has a slammin' early fall selection. Seriously. The clothes are something to covet as it gets cooler and the print ads are a definite upgrade from the washout beige thing they did this past summer. I wonder what they could possibly do for their television ads. This could be a good start:

Spike Jones's little-seen advertisement that's subversive and yet a wicked homage to a declining brand (hopefully, not for too long) that captured a moment in time.

No comments: