Monday, July 30, 2007

take it back now y'all: suzanne vega


"Tom's Diner (DNA Remix)"
Suzanne Vega
1990

"You really know what you're doing out there on the dance floor."--Greg Gillis, a.k.a. Girl Talk, commenting on my dancing prowess set to the tune above

There are very few times that I enjoy the act of sweating. Balmy Saturday nights spent dancing till my quad muscles ache with joy and pain are a rare occasion that I will gladly sweat through until my pores are exhausted. The after-party for the Forecastle Music, Art, and Activism Festival was a memorable and sweat-soaked affair, as it should have been. How do you follow up the hedonistic live presence of festival closer Girl Talk (more on that in a future post)? Host a dance party and play every incredible dance and hip-hop song from the early 90s, namely Suzanne Vega's "Tom's Dinner (DNA Remix)." I haven't thought about this song in a maybe a decade or so, but damned if it didn't get the party started. Try not to be pulled in by its pulsating hook and perfectly fused hip-hop beat. Doo doo doo doo, doo da-doo doo.

1 comment:

Leigh said...

DAMN. i always miss the good parties.