Tuesday, July 17, 2007

poster art

I hate to be one of those people that has such an expected and unsurprising furnished and decorated apartment. Yes, it will be clean, simple, linear, and masculine, but I want some element of surprise. I'll try not to reveal too many details about what I'm thinking about doing with my new apartment (a full reveal will come in time), but I will say I'm trying to get away from an overload of movie posters. It's a difficult urge to suppress because I wouldn't want someone to comment on my Elsworth Kelly reprint and not have anything to back it up. However, if someone mentions they love my unusual poster of Alfred Hitchock's "Vertigo", I can confidently gab about the film for hours on end. I think I want to limit myself to three. I already have the Hitchcock, but recent finds on ebay have made it excruciating to whittle it down to other two films. Should they be films I've seen? Should I choose a theme or a particular actor, director, genre, or nation? Should it be from a certain decade? Should it be more of an artistic rendering of the film as opposed to the original poster artwork? Decisions, decisions, decisions. For now here are some options:





I didn't realize it until now but for some reason I'm being drawn to something big, bold, and red. Any other suggestions?

3 comments:

Eric R. Rickert said...

you can always take smaller-scale prints (like movie promos on a postcard) and have them blown up to massive proportions at kinkos. it's not that costly.

love the stranger poster.

Leigh said...

as much as i loathed the book, i'm diggin that stranger poster as well. the blow-up one is pretty great also. another idea is to take some favorite magazine pages and put a bunch in cheap frames on one wall. could be fun... can't wait to see the place, boo.

Anonymous said...

I'm not sure how any well tasted human being fights the urge to include a BLOW UP poster in their design scheme. It was actually the sole choice for the office wall of my slender, sophisticated German professor. I decided to twist and slightly sedate it with a smaller print of this more red-heavy one:

Wow, the Visconti Stranger adaptation has become one of the great rare film searches of my life, I'm impressed you've even found the poster. Its gorgeous. I feel your pain on the restraint attempts with ze film posters. I've solved this by making the decision any further purchases will be strictly vintage. If you feel like making a splurge we work with Posteritati and they've got a great site I scour on a regular basis. They let us borrow for displays and regularly do exhibits around town. Most recently: Truffaut, Altman, and Cary Grant shows.

Hopefully the house-warmers help you choose direction...