Wednesday, December 19, 2007

chili a la stephanie

Now that there's a chill in the air and the temperatures have dropped, I can't think of a better relief from the cold than a nice big bowl of chili. The cacophony of flavors and soothing warmth make it an essential dish for the winter. My friend Stephanie, director at the excellent Gallery Nulu here in Louisville, gave me a recipe for some of the best chili I've ever had the pleasure of consuming. I had thirds the first night I made it and over the course of the next few days it got better as the flavors infused together coalescing into one of the best meals I've made for myself. Here's her original recipe:



2 tsp. olive oil
1 big tsp of red curry paste
2 diced onions
3 diced bell peppers (any color)
5 minced cloves garlic
2 tbsp oregano
3 cans black beans, undrained
2 cans diced tomatoes
1/4 cup garlic chili pepper sauce
1/4 tsp salt

Heat oil, add curry paste and saute until bubbling. Add onions and cook until they begin to soften. Add peppers, garlic, oregano. Saute two minutes. Add all that other ingredients, reduce heat and simmer for 40 minutes (or longer if you got the time). I added ground chuck to the recipe to satisfy my inner carnivore, but this could be prepared minus meat. I topped mine with shredded colby cheese but sour cream can also be used. Make it yours and not only will you think me but the next time you see Stephanie you'll want to give her a big bear hug.

No comments: