Tuesday, October 23, 2007

wash over me

It has been raining for two days straight, which is only nice because it's some semblance of weather patterns effecting the area other than hot and more hot, but it drains the life out of me. I am so lethargic and slovenly when it's raining outside. However, it is prime opportunity to get cozy on ye old futon and watch a plethora of DVDs. Although it hasn't happen yet (I've been kinda busy studying for the GRE and planning a dinner for 12, which will I will write about don't you worry), it does remind me of how much I like the aesthetic of rain in film. The symbolic imagery for water is endless in its interpretations, but to me there is something very sexy, cleansing, unifying, and uncomfortable about watching people kiss, fight, talk, emote, etc. in the rain. Here are some of my favorite moments that are just a little bit better due to the soggy, rain-soaked beauty:


"Pride & Prejudice"
dir. Joe Wright
2005
Joe Wright's contemporary vision of the traditional story of unrequited love and pinning is especially romantic and telling in the rain. What they almost do at the end of the scene is just as explosive as their argument.

Other notable moments:

  • The opening credits of Jacques Demy's "The Umbrellas of Cherbourg"
  • The climactic battle in Akira Kurosawa's "Seven Samurai"
  • Jeanne Moreau declining an offer in a car in Michelangelo Antonioni's "La Notte"
  • Rutger Hauer's death in Ridley Scott's "Blade Runner"
  • Woody Allen and Diane Keaton fleeing an impromptu shower in Allen's "Manhattan"

3 comments:

Leigh said...

Don't forget the end of Breakfast at Tiffany's!

Good luck on the GRE, too. I need to take that shit like whoa.

ArchitectDesign™ said...

Another rain scene that I love is in 'great expectations' with Ethan Hawke and Gwenyth Paltrow from 1998 when he pulls her out of the restaurant. So romantic and stylish!

Leigh said...

also the finger-chopping scene from The Piano.