Tuesday, April 10, 2007

lost in translation


'lost in translation'
dir. & wri., sofia coppola
2003

this scene needs little explanation. its silent beauty is captivating, riveting, and perfectly expressive of sofia coppola's isolated and lost heroine. lance accord's dreamy cinematography and the restrained prettiness of air's 'alone in kyoto' only add to this moving scene about what it means to long for something that you're not and struggle to find out who you truly are.

watch and you'll know why i think this is the best american film of the past five years.

1 comment:

Leigh said...

I don't think I've really sat down and watched this movie thoroughly since I've been to japan, but I get the feeling i need to.

I've been on that train line, on the bullet trains. The first temple she goes to, where she sees the traditional wedding ceremony (which is actually quite rare these days in Japan...western weddings are preferred, interestingly enough, despite the small percentage of Christians), I've been there too.

If there's one thing this movie did capture, it's the feeling of being completely different and uncertain of whether you want to belong or not. In my case, I did, and I still do.

*sigh* I want to go back...