Monday, April 30, 2007

lids


i hate that moment in life when you realize there are staples in fashion that just don't work on you. i don't feel so bad when i can't pull together the trendy t-shirt and vest combination a la jude law, but i am bothered that i cannot pull off a hat. i have never had a serious interests in hats until recently when i read about a collection of marlon brando's hats on sale at jack spade's manhattan boutique. they're dashing and antiquated, but if worn with the same untamed sultriness of a young marlon brando, it can look right and fresh.

however, not everybody is brando and nor should they be. i've come to terms with my funny shaped head a long time ago and how it prevents me from feeling the least bit comfortable in something that resembles a hat. somehow i thought i could bypass that fact with my persistent hat craving. oh how naive i was when i tried on hats at dot fox and banana republic recently. i put on a hat and immediately my security drops to dangerous levels and i become acutely aware of the flat, large, balloon-like shape of my head and its aversion to being covered. perhaps this is a case of it looks better in my mind than something that would appropriately act as a stylish punctuation mark to my usual sartorial statement.

damn. hats: 1. me: 0.

1 comment:

Marcellus said...

Jack Spade frustrates me. He almost is what I want him to be, but never quite fulfills his promise. His store is a perfect example of that. Downtown nerd prep in too small a space with not enough eye candy. I suppose I want Andy to run a line that is the Wes Anderson of retail, but he just doesn't step all the way up. I would say we'll always have Trovata but the way they're going it might be over before it started.