Tuesday, April 24, 2007

design hero: marc atlan

i'm in that bizarre transitional phase in my life where i'm trying to find my professional fit but develop and hold on to my morals, ideas, and sensibilities. to be perfectly honest, i would have never guessed that graphic design was the direction my professional life would be headed in. however, i have never shied away from my creativity and my appreciation of aesthetics. with that in mind, my love of fonts, colors, arrangement of phrases and images is a perfect match for graphic design work. i've learned that my aesthetic as a designer is simple, clean, and contemporary. i pull inspiration from a variety of places but unbeknownst to me, i have long been inspired my artist marc atlan. his strong, paired down designs have made prada, commes des garcons, and the helvetica font just a little bit sexier and more singular in the wide landscape of commercial design. if only i could be this good...

james perse storefront, march 2007


a.p.c. advertisement


helmut lang advertisement, 1999



find more of his beautiful work here.

2 comments:

Marcellus said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Marcellus said...

Not to get to Stuart Smalley but you can be this good--just get in a good, creative environment and work well with others.

Also make note that he almost exclusively uses what appears to be a Akzidenz Grotesk typeface with little copy. That's what working with luxury clients gets you.

Finally, I recently saw the Helvetica movie. Beautiful and definitely inspirational.