Wednesday, March 11, 2009

performance: 2008

The top ten of 2008 is on its way, don't you worry. In the meantime I'd thought I'd share some of my favorite performances of last year. Some were tender ("Wall-E"), balls out funny ("Tropic Thunder" and "Pineapple Express"), and others cut to the bone ("Ballast"). Each mash up between character and actor resonated in a way that only the cinemas can provide. Enjoy.

Mickey Rourke, "The Wrestler"

Sally Hawkins, "Happy-Go-Lucky"

Rebecca Hall, "Vicky Cristina Barcelona"

John Malkovich, "Burn After Reading"

Wall-E, "Wall-E"

Kristin Scott Thomas, "I've Loved You So Long"

The cast of "Tropic Thunder"

Craig Robinson, Danny McBride, and Kevin Corrigan, "Pineapple Express"

Juliette Binoche, "The Flight of the Red Balloon"

Rosemarie DeWitt, "Rachel Getting Married

Tarra Riggs, "Ballast"

Benicio Del Toro, "Che"

Emile Hirsch, "Milk"

Matieu Almaric, "A Christmas Tale"

Emily Watson and Diane Wiest, "Synecdoche, New York"

1 comment:

MATTHEW said...

I like your performance picks a lot. They mostly coincide with my top 10 films which I suppose I'll post here since you're the only person that would potentially care to see it. I didn't get to see Che or Ballast, so they could easily have ended up on the list otherwise.

Flight of the Red Balloon
Milk
Happy-Go-Lucky
The Wrestler
Synechdoche, NY
Reprise
A Christmas Tale
Paranoid Park
Wendy and Lucy
Rachel Getting Married