Wednesday, August 13, 2008

a man's right to shoes

Common Projects
Suede Desert Boot in Grey, $310

While waiting to hear about the availability of a pair of Rag & Bone bermuda shorts in my size, I stepped out of the dimly lit fitting room at Odin to find a wall of non-descript white shoe boxes. My eyes wandered in their blank direction, where upon it was revealed they were the boxes for Common Projects shoes, the most ludicrously overpriced but badass tennis shoes brand. Minimal in design, but maximum in their subtle impact, Common Projects are the tennis shoes dreams are made of. Dream wasn't far off from what I was experiencing. My trembling finger tips reached out, almost as if I were reaching to touch E.T.'s cold, alien light of a finger. Steven Spielberg wasn't directing this scene, but the halo of light persisted from a neat pair of grey desert boots, calling to me silently, urgently. The touch was soft as a threadbare t-shirt, the feel was sporty luxury defined. I dared not try them on for fear I would feel something a little too real for an inanimate object. The sales girl, a cross between Alex Wek and Clara Bow, informed me my beloved bermudas were on hold at the East Village location. Thank you, I said, mouth still agape at the sight of those wondrous shoes.

No comments: