Wednesday, April 30, 2008

vintage fashion


Do you have about 500 hours to kill on the internet? Well, you're just in luck, especially if you were a fan of the Saturday morning fashion television show, "Fashion File." For the brief time I had cable in the late '90s, I remember from time to time waking up randomly on Saturday mornings just in to stumble upon the Canadian fashion news program on E! that featured coverage of the latest fashion shows, trends, models, and of course, the vast knowledge and curiosity of host Tim Blanks. Once again, I have found "Fashion File", but this time on their website that offers an extensive library of video segments from just about every designer you can think of. Listening to Tim Blanks wax poetically about the genius of Karl Lagerfeld or Alber Elbaz is always a pleasure, but these videos call to mind the forgotten moments in fashion that were fun and subversive at the time but seem like forever ago. Tom Ford's erotica-soaked tenure at Gucci and Yves Saint Laurent or the "living instillations" of Imitation of Christ made me wonder if these ideas and the people behind them would be relevant in today's fashion gauntlet. Oh well, we can just watch and enjoy. Trust me, you will watch more than one.

Click here for videos.

2 comments:

riz said...

I think I officially love you now!

I grew up on this too, and have always aspired to the lofty discursive heights of Tim Blanks. I'm convinced that I learned everything I needed to about fashion from him...and I was so disappointed when I realized that FF was no more, only to live through many disappointing and inferior mainstream substitutes on terrible makeover networks like E and Style.

I'll sut up now, but THANK YOU THANK YOU for posting this link. It will be so useful for the course I am about to teach...

xx

Leigh said...

ZOMG.

i so wish i was not at work right now.

too much with the awesome.